1835 land indenture Penn Twp. Philadelphia 7th St., Poplar Lane, Delaware St.
Vellum, 28 x 15 inches, very good, usual folds, for a lot of land described as being on 7th and Delaware near Poplar Lane (northern Philadelphia we think), between John and Ann Elkinton and William S. Ward. Elkinton was a bit of a somebody in Philadelphia: He attended Pennsylvania University in Philadelphia, graduating as an M.D. in 1822. He practiced medicine in Haddonfield, NJ until 1828, moving to Manayunk in Philadelphia for a short time. Dr. Elkinton was involved in quelling the cholera outbreak of 1832. He became interested in Philadelphia politics and was a member of the Board of Health for many years. 1837 found him establishing Monument Cemetery on land he owned. In the 1840's he became a Philadelphia Alderman serving until his death. Dr. Elkinton was also the author of several medical treatises as well as a book about the cemetery he founded in Philadelphia. This deed is signed in full by Elkinton and his wife. Item #H9555